Candle Care & Safety
Follow these guidelines to enjoy your candles safely and make them last longer!
Did you know that candles have memory?
The first time you burn your candle will determine it's performance for it's useful lifespan. Make sure that you allow your candle to burn long enough for all of the wax along the surface to melt completely to the edges of the container. This will prevent your wick from burning too quickly and possibly becoming drowned by the wax. (This is called "tunneling.")
This can usually be achieved within 2 or 3 hours. The first burn will set the "memory" of the candle, ensuring that the wax is properly consumed by the flame during subsequent uses.
Additional tips -
- Trim wick to ¼ inch prior to burning. New candles come with their wicks pre-trimmed and do not need additional trimming prior to the first burn.
- Keep the pool of wax free of wick trimmings and any debris at all times.
- Place the candle on a stable, heat-resistant surface, away from drafts, vents or air currents.
- Burn for 2-3 hours each time you light the candle, no more than 4 hours.
- Always burn within sight. Keep away from flammable object, children, and pets.
- Stop use when 1/4 inch of wax remains, or when the wick will no longer stay lit on its own.
- Always keep burning candles within sight.
- Never use a candle as a night light. Extinguish all candles before going to bed.
- Keep burning candles away from all flammable objects.
- Keep burning candles out of the reach of children and pets.
- Extinguish a candle if the flame becomes too big, smoky or flickery.
- Always burn candles in a well-ventilated room.
- Always use a candle-holder specifically meant for candle use.
- Never touch or move a burning candle when the wax is liquid.
- Never use a sharp object to remove wax drippings from a glass holder.
- Place burning candles at least three inches apart from each other.
- Use a snuffer to extinguish candles to prevent splattering of hot wax.
- Never extinguish candles with water.
Even if you're just leaving the room for a few moments, please extinguish your candles. Never leave a candle burning when you go to bed. Be sure the wick ember is no longer glowing.
Some objects around your home are flammable - like furniture, curtains, paper, etc. Burn candles, not books!
Keep children and pets safe! Make sure your little ones can't get to a burning candle or accidentally knock it over.
Long, uneven wicks can cause uneven burning, large flames, and soot. Trimming your wick regularly helps to ensure the air and nearby surfaces in your home stay cleaner and healthier.
Be very careful if using candles during a power outage. Flashlights and other battery-powered lights are safer to use during a power failure.